Search engine optimization is an art and a science and there are many things you can do in addition to what was done during the site build to continue to improve your search engine ranking. But keep in mind that SEO is an ongoing process and it can take time to get ranked and stay on the first page of a Search Engine.
Since search engines are trying to provide the most relevant search results to their clients, the best thing you can to do to improve your chance of ranking well is to build a content-rich, well organized website that is kept current with updated information.
Recommendations for keeping content fresh:
- Use a blog or user forum to make it easy to post new information and to encourage user participation
- Remove pages with outdated content, or pages without content.
- Use video – (customers and search engines like it)
Often you’ll notice that the sites that are coming up at the top of the SE list are directory sites. They have a distinct advantage over an individual or small business site because in addition to having fresh content that is updated regularly, they provide multiple resources for someone searching – thus the SE’s consider them the most relevant result to the search.
Things you should do:
- Research your keyword phrases to determine the best terms to use and regularly add keyword rich content to the website.
- Ensure that keywords are used in page titles, meta tags, content and content headings.
- Get listed on appropriate online directories (professional directories, yellow pages, chambers of commerce, etc.)
- Submit press releases to online PR services
- Set-up a Google Adwords or other PPC program
- Review your site statistics or a program like Google Analytics to analyze what is working – what pages people are landing on and where they go once they get there. Make adjustments based on analysis
- Maximize your virtual network with professional networking sites like Linked In or Plaxo
- Participate on professional forums and offer your expertise
Things to avoid:
- Pop-up windows
- Dead links
- Identical content posted in duplicate locations
- Overuse of Flash